Friday, October 31, 2014

Our Story

A start-up with a legacy of papermaking

Gorham Paper and Tissue started in May of 2011 when Patriarch Partners purchased the former Fraser Paper facility. The legacy of Gorham is extensive, dating back to 1852 when the operation opened as a saw mill. Over the years, numerous companies owned the operation, building a foundation of process, innovation and papermaking expertise.


2013

Gorham expands packaging offering to include 9 specialty products

Specialty Papers are re-branded:  Optix, Helix, Vertix & Iconix                   

2012

Tissue machine begins producing commercial product

Methane and natural gas lines installed to reduce usage of fossil fuel

Gorham achieves WBENC certification as a woman-owned business

2011

$35 million invested into installation of state-of-the-art tissue machine

Gorham integrates with Old Town Fuel and Fiber providing a secure pulp source

Patriarch Partners invests in mill and launches Gorham Paper and Tissue

2010

Fraser Paper sells operation to RB Counsel for liquidation

2002

Nexfor Fraser Papers buys operations, making paper within 7 days

2001

PPA files for bankruptcy and shuts pulp and paper mills down

1999

Pulp and Paper of America (PPA) purchases the Berlin-Gorham operations

1995

James River creates a spin-off company, Crown Vantage

1980

James River Corporation buys the pulp and paper mill

1968

Brown Company shifts control to Gulf & Western industries

1941

A new kraft mill is built in Berlin and new tissue machine installed at Gorham

1917

Name changed to Brown Company

1912

Newspaper machines convert to kraft production, becoming one of the world’s largest producers at the time

1891

Two paper machines at Gorham produce newsprint

1888

Berlin Mills Company enters pulp and paper industry with a groundwood mill in Gorham, NH

1852

Berlin Mills Company opens sawmill in Berlin, NH

 

WBE_color_rgb_web_P
Copyright 2013 by Gorham Paper and Tissue